Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Adoption Presentation

Portia's teacher was kind enough to allow me to come and talk to the class about adoption. Portia was so excited and asked if she could sit right beside me at the front. The next thing I knew she was carrying this fair size chair over to me and almost knocked out one of her classmates. There were all these little faces staring and wondering what I had to say. I must admit I was nervous. I decided to keep it simple. I began by telling the class that it was a special week for us since it had been 4 years since Portia's adoption day or the day we became a family. I explained Portia came from China and that we travelled there to meet her and then became a family. The teacher pulled out a globe so we could point out the location. I read the class "I Love You Like Crazy Cakes" since it was similar to our experience. After the story, the teacher asked if anyone had questions for me. One little girl said she liked the book and asked where we got it. And then another little boy said that he was adopted too. I was surprised since I didn't realize there was another adopted child in the class. He said "My mom is from the Phillipines and when she was there, I was in her belly." They are so innocent. Obviously he confused adoption with coming from far away. Too cute. After that Portia handed out Dunkeroos to each classmate. That made all the kids really happy. Portia was so happy and proud of her story. And that alone made my heart happy.

No comments: