Monday, July 27, 2009

Message from the Dipietro's

As part of the adoption process, the Canadian Consulate here in Vietnam have to speak to 2 of the 4 references that we had to provide. On our way to Mui Ne, we received a call from our adoption rep. She told us that the consulate couldn't reach ANY of our references and that they had pushed back the date that we would receive Reuben's passport. We were now going to get it on Thursday if all went well, however we were scheduled to leave on Friday to come home. That was cutting it really close and we wondered if we would have to push back the date of our return flights once again. Manny, thanks for contacting all of our references to make sure they would be ready for "The call". They managed to contact Bill & Sarah while on the road to New Jersey. Thank you Bill for saying all the right things and going through all your troubles! The consulate also managed to reach Jonathon. They asked him why we were in Vietnam and he said because we wanted to try authentic Vietnamese food. You had us howling when we got your message Jon. Christina thanks for staying up so late to receive "The Call" but we didn't know until after the fact that they only needed to contact 2. Marianne, thanks for being so diligent and contacting Vietnam yourself.

Heather - We absolutely LOVE Vietnam and the people. As much as we joke around about our trip, I would recommend Vietnam to everyone. It's such a beautiful country and we can't get over how docile everyone is. Every shop we go into, they want to go the extra mile to please us. We sure could learn alot about this country back home. We wish we had more time here since there is so much to see and do. I feel so relaxed here, except for the occasional crazy driving...nothing like our trip to China. Wish you guys were here with us. We haven't seen you for so long but we look forward to that time when we do. Just curious, where did you go see the water puppet show? I will pass your hellos to Rennie. Should be seeing her today. And have already said hello to Loan for you. Yes, she remembers you guys well. BTW, we went back for more donuts yesterday at the tax center. We've got to stop this horrible habit!!

Manny - We will never be able to thank you enough for everything. Sounds like you haven't stopped moving since we left. Where do you get all that energy? Yes, we do owe you big time. Now that Elvis has left the building, has Priscilla been able to relax more?

Jon & Tammy - I'll have to get your correct e-mail address. No wonder every time I sent you an e-mail, you never responded. I started thinking you were the silent type...yeah right!! Remember, I will be overdue for a girl's night out so you just make sure you and Deb are ready.

Aunt Elaine - Now that's a funny Brian story! Yes, as you know, I have my own collection. The sad thing is they come to me naturally. Oh well, better to laugh than to cry.

Lyla - We sure did have some wonderful childhood memories, didn't we? Seems like a lifetime ago. Thank you. We are so happy to have a family of our own. It's been a long road, but it makes me apprciate things all the more. I can't believe you have 4 children now! You'll have to send me some updated photos. I only remember them from Khalid's wedding which was like what, 4 years ago. Noah was still quite small back then. It's hard to believe he's heading off to high school. I won't forget when you, Krista and I would spending our summers together. And now look at us. Where did the time go? Love you too.

Nancy - Oddly enough the Coco Loco's were like $7 US each. It's probably a coconut with a whole bottle of rum. Hope you guys are doing well. Say hi to Jose for us and let us know next time you are in town. Love you.

Christina - If it makes you feel any better, the weather here in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) has been pretty lousy. Infact it was nice to get away for the weekend and actually see the sun again. We found out that it was beautiful in Saigon the whole time we were away. Go figure! At first the first week went by somewhat slowly, but now the time is racing. As much as we are excited to be getting home, we wish we had another week here. There's still so much to see and do, but there is always the hope that we'll return soon enough. Sounds like you are finalizing the last things before your moving day. I can't believe that time is finally upon us. Thank goodness Ottawa is not a big city.

Mati - Thank you! No he doesn't have Manny's nose. But I tell you, and not to be crude, the boy farts like his father! I was holding him yesterday, and when he tooted, I was confused. My ears were telling me that it was coming from Reuben, but I just kept staring at Alex...he farts like a man! So little, yet so impressive that that came out of him. Franca and I just howled.

Viv - Tell Mike I will talk to Alex about waxing his chest hair. However, he's having a hard time letting go, so maybe he can just get it braided instead. I honestly think Reuben is starting to understand some english. I just wish we knew more Vietnamese. As for shopping, you Viv, would be in your element. There are places here you can have tailor made clothes for a dime. You go in look at their catalogue of styles and choose your own fabric. You can alter the design and 4 days later you have a suit or whatever. That would cost a mint in Canada. If I had known better, I would have done that from the moment I got off the plane. Looking forward to seeing you guys soon. I will pass the man-hug to Alex from Kravchenko.

Marielena, Nabil, Issraa, Abdel - Grazie tanto! Speriamo fra il prossimo anno possiamo ritornare in Italia, e mangiare il cibo Arabico con Nabil e la vostra famiglia! Veramente, il cibo qui e molto delicioso e non costa niente. Salute il tuo papa e Gianna per noi! Tanti baci...

Bren - Count us in! We know you guys know where all the good restaurants are. You should be writing your own columns for the Citizen and Sun. You had us at Ceylonta.

Lara & Scha - Ci mandiamo i nostri baci. Vuoi siete sempre con noi in cuore e speriamo che possiamo venire in Italia piu presto.

Molly - Our trip back was only 4 hours vs. 5.5 to Mui Ne so we were so excited to finally be home. It's funny how along the way we would see these teeny weeny signs telling us how far we were from our destination. At one point the numbers went up instead of down...only in Vietnam!
Wow Molly was 13 pounds at 6 months! That's a nice size if you ask me. Thanks for your advice. We have bought many large sizes for Portia and Reuben both.

Christine - Can't believe the time is finally upon us and I will actually get to meet you face to face. I know we won't be here long enough to see your little guy in your loving arms, but I will be thinking of you. Reuben continues to improve every day. I think just loving and holding them does the body good. He sometimes cries right before he usually wakes up so he could come and snuggle in bed with us. I can't get over how well he's bonding. It took me and Portia about 4 months to really bond. Of course it was hard, but when the day came, it was worth all the tears. I hope you have a wonderful adventure here as well and take home home some great memories.

Tash & Ben - Glad to hear you are following along on our blog. It's too hard to keep in touch with every single person and we felt that this was the best way to do it. We are scheduled to come home on August 1st. I'll pass your love along to everyone.

Gale - Thanks for joining us on our journey. Everyone has made such loving remarks of the photo with Reuben and Sarah. I'm so glad we were able to connect and that you were able to share these priceless photos with us. Yes, the time is going by so quickly. I often go onto your blog looking for updates. It's amazing how much your Sarah has blossomed in the short 10 months since she has joined your family. Every time I share the photos, everyone remarks on how beautiful Sarah is. She truly is.

Veronica - So looking forward in catching up and hearing about all your travels this summer. So how is Jamaica? When are you coming home? I guess if we plan this right, we'll be seeing you at Jeremy and Anja's wedding.

3 comments:

adamsgoasia said...

Hey guys,
Calling the references must be a new part of the process. We didn't experience that. We saw the water puppet show at one of the museums... I think it was down the road from the main entrance of the botanical gardens/zoo. I do recall they closed for a period of time over lunch. Also once in the museum we wandered around for a while before stumbling upon a little outdoor theatre. And no surprise, the show was delayed, almost cancelled, as the skies opened up and rained as only the skies in HCMC can. I'll try to look through our paperwork tomorrow to find the name of the museum. Have you been for a cyclo ride yet? We found them just south of the Diamond Plaza, north of the main Post Office (which is beautiful inside btw). I read your post about not wanting to leave yet. We felt the same way. Some how 3 weeks isn't long enough in VN. Anyone reading this must think we are crazy, but seriously those donuts are something else. I wish you could pack up a dozen for us! We hope we can see you soon. Also that picture of Alex is too funny. Aren't the clothing sizes wacky!

Christine said...

Hey Guys!
So glad you had a great time at the beach and that everything worked out with the consulate!
We leave tomorrow and should arrive in HCMC around 5:30 Thursday evening. After we check into the hotel we will definitely call up your room (as long as we are not delayed and it is not too late)
Christine

Anonymous said...

Okay, enough about the donuts!!!!! I'm starving over here!!! :-O BTW, if you can't find the water puppet show at the museum, head up to Hanoi...there's one there...wonderful!

Just a warning....have fun putting Ruben into a child car seat! I was looking at the pics of him sitting on someones lap (I felt so 'bad' with Malia on my lap while there in VN, as I am a child seat fanatic!), I remember the other parents telling me that when they got home they had a hard time with their one year old, and a 6.5 month old....I don't remember any issues with Malia...but then that is when she got her 'binky' 'soother', while she was in the child seat.

I can tell you that 'your going to miss this'!!! 13.5 years later, I still have wonderful, fond memories of my one week in VN!!! One week, and you have 3....

On a food note again...I took breakfast bars with me as I was afraid to eat there...I was so hungry two weeks later (and 10 lbs lighter) when I boarded China Air for home....I was also sick by something in Bangkok, and had many visits with the wonderfully small restrooms in the plane...please note....one can sit on the 'you know what' and puke into the sink!!!! While baby is in the front carrier!!!! Life is good!!

I need a spell check here!!! Writting without one is not good!!!

Have a save trip home.

Molly