Hi Everyone
We've been having internet connection problems so we haven't been able to get on now for about 24 hours. Okay, for Thursday...what did we do? Alex and I headed to the Canadian Consulate where we applied for a Canadian Passport for the Reubster (as Franca calls him). The appt. went pretty quick. We were slightly entertained, if not annoyed, by a 50ish year old Canadian man, that came into the consulate demanding Canadian quality service. We're in Vietnam, what was he thinking? It was actually pretty funny since he already came in with quite the attitude and you can imagine how upset he got after having to repeat his request half a dozen times, since the receptionist only understood half a handful of english words, with "hi" being one of them. And is often the case when someone is speaking to a foreigner, not only do they talk slow, but they talk loud, as if the person has a hearing impairment. So the more he repeated his request, the slower he spoke and the louder he got. He started to sound like he had one too many and was asked to sit and wait. By the time we left, he was clearly over-the-top upset and his head looked like it was going to pop off. We spent the better part of the afternoon back at the Tax Department Centre where we hit a Walmart type store, but only after taste-testing some donuts that Heather insisted we try. Thank you Heather. They were as delicious as you said they would be. Okay back to the Walmart type store...Alex was as happy as a pig in a pen only to be disappointed by the misleading sizes. He tried a XXXL but it was not to be. You should have seen him in the change room. He looked like a giant amongst elves. Little did he know we could see his whole upper body as he changed, that was until he turned around to find us howling from across the room. We had lunch at Parkson's Mall, then headed home. During the evening, Alex gave Franca and I the go ahead to go out. We chose the Ben Thanh Market but upon arrival we noticed that all the workers were finishing up and the place was quickly closing. What ever would we do? We walked to the corner half hoping to find a cab back but to our surprise we stumped upon a huge outdoor market. We were back in business and came home with goodies to show.
Going back to the Parkson's mall....I just wanted to mention that entering the mall is quite the experience. Many beggers including their children are quick to run to you trying to sell you gum, glasses, books, anything. It breaks your heart and makes you wish that we could send all the well-off children from around the world to live life in the shoes of these ones that are victims of their circumstances. One little boy sat outside the Tax Center and I've been having problems clearing him from my mind. He sat, he cried and seemed to be in fear. A stranger tried to console him but with no success. Obviously he's one of many, and this will never be a sight that one can become desensitized to. As Alex turns to me and says, "I wish I could take a few more home with me.", I sit and ponder for the umpteenth time, why does the adoption process need to be so difficult? My mind starts racing toward the etched memories of all the little children left at the orphanage, left in the room where Reuben once laid, wondering what will be their outcome. I then glance at my little boy who is coming to life more and more each day and feel so grateful to God for bringing us together.

1 comment:
Gosh Honey, You need to publish this when you get home! You are hilarious! The story about Alex in the change room reminded me when I took Brian shopping He found a pair of silky p.j."s. They wern't his size but the clerk insisted he try them on. He came out with the bottems plastered to his body, bent over and ripped the back seam right out. Should have seen the salesmans face. I told him they wouldn't fit!
I love being on this journey with you guys. Thank you so much for this. Its like I am on your adventure! Love to all, Elaine
Post a Comment