Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday, July 12th







We woke up this morning and had a nice American breakfast by the pool, then ventured out to buy some essentials. Our walk was interesting. For starters there are electrical lines everywhere, and I mean EVERYWHERE. And as for traffic rules...there are none. Oddly enough, the best way to describe it is organized chaos. We'll have to get some video footage since there is no way to explain it. After a good 30 minutes walking in what felt like a sauna, we arrived at the Co-op Mart. There was anything and everything. Picture a Walmart confined into approximately 1/100 of its store. And then the smells hit us! At least Alex & I had experience in China, but poor Franca started turning green. Trying to get through the aisles with people left and right of you should be an Olympic sport. By the time we got back we were soaken wet. Alex, Franca & Portia went out and enjoyed the pool, while I took advantage of what was likely one of my last moments alone. We enjoyed a wonderful afternoon with Renny (another adoptive parent) and her new and beautiful daughter Lia. Renny has been here for about 5 weeks so she was a great source of tidbits. She brought us to an absolutely delicious Chinese restaurant and then we headed to The Ben Thanh market. This is where you could wheel and deal for just about anything your heart desires. We had a good chuckle when one of the sellers said to Franca "Go in." and Franca said, "I can't. I won't fit." Then the seller said "Oh no, someone bigger than you fit." Well, that's a boost to someone's self esteem! Portia got some beautiful dresses and we are looking forward to returning. We spent the rest of the afternoon swimming and napping, perhaps too much napping and will likely pay the price tomorrow, especially with the excitement of seeing baby Reu.
Funny Daily Moment:
At the restaurant, one of the customers noticed Portia and we thought she said, "Holy $h!t!" With her accent, we quickly realized she was trying to ask, "How old is she?" (Read as "Ho Ly She!) Too funny!!

3 comments:

Carm & Alyssia said...

Hi family! Dad, Mom and I just finished reading your latest entry. Your blog is so well written, we almost felt like we were there with you guys. You're probably sleeping right now. When you wake up you'll be off to get baby Reu!! Sooo exciting...please give him a big hug and kiss for us! That kid is going to be loved to death...he already is. We are constantly praying for you and I hope tomorrow goes smoothly. Take lots of pictures. And Zia Franca, i know that your memory often short circuits but for our sake try and remember tomorrow's every last detail. Portia, baby, I love you so much and I see that you have been a good girl for mommy and daddy! You are going to get a baby brother tomorrow and that means that you will have to help mommy and daddy take care of him. Hug him and kiss him and take good care of him, because sweetie now you are his big sister:) Zia Tizia & Zio Alex, you are amazing parents and although he doesnt know it yet, Reuben is one of the luckiest boys in the world for getting a mom and dad as special as you two.

Love you all soo much, be safe and remember although we cant be there with you:( Jehovah is by your side through it all. XOX Ciao
-Alyssia & Carm

Willy and Sarah said...

willy and sarah

just a quick note to let you know we are all thinking so much of you and how this odyssey unfolds towards the goal of the prize - a small reuben for takeout (no fries)(Smile)

our niece sydney is totally jazzed with your story and will be following your blog with bated breath ! it is really fantastic that you have franca with you - it will be an experience that she will always treasure and you have her support while you're there.

take lots of pics tomorrow -- you owe it to all your friends that are waiting on this side of the pond.

we miss you all and you'll be in our thoughts and prayers till you get back with your new bouncing baby boyo.

Luv B&S

Viv said...

Oh my goodness girlfriend! This blog thing is fantastic. As much as I know that you are enjoying having this permanent record of this exciting time, I have to say thank you for taking the time to do this. There are so many that love you guys and I for one, sincerely appreciate the opportunity to share this with you.

If I've got this time difference thing right, it is Monday morning for you and that means that Reuben will be with you anytime now. Am so excited to see pictures of all of you cuddling and loving him.

Greek scholar Euripides said: "Waste no tears over the griefs of yesterday." The road may have been long and hard but it won't be long now and you will feel the joy that lead Hannah to be able to say in 1 Samuel 1:27: "It was with reference to this boy that I prayed that Jehovah should grant me my petition that I asked of him."

Soak in all the good of this first day, in this new chapter. Kravchenko and I love you both very much.